Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2013

Things I Learned in 2013

Kids leave the nest.  I know as little as I did when they first entered, minus the anxiety.

Elementary schools are incredibly cheery places to work.

I taught my girls about living in the suburbs; they are teaching me about city living.

Looking down the barrel of 'way over fifty' feels odd and scary.

Shucking clams is a fine skill.

When kids visit the nest, familiar patterns sneak in as well.

Julian Barnes' writing gives me goose bumps.

Movie sing-alongs wash away worries and create a crazy sense of community.

Mediocre books get way too much undeserved attention (and book sales) when the pen name is unmasked: i.e. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling

Moving your child three times in four months to varying walk-up apartments tests Love's practical side.

View Shmoo: first floor apartments = heaven.

Best thing about my job:  mandatory recess twice daily.

Second best thing: giving kids Tooth Fairy certificates and stickers after they lose a tooth.

The blog (and now book)  Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh is quirky perfection.  http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

Having a very vague clue re: the book I am seeking turns into a blissful treasure hunt with the dependably informed staff at the reopened Chester County Book Company  http://www.ccbmc.com/

Letting go of ego is super hard; succeeding at it is super satisfying; failing at it is super easy.

Saying "my college grad has a full time job with benefits" is really one word. Ditto for my college student's part time job, minus the benefits

Key and Peele's comedy lays me out!  Here is the link to one of my favorite skits so far -  Luther the Anger Translator- Obama Shutdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDpVg-UEGCI

 
Thanks for reading my blog and for your generous feedback.  May 2014 be kind to us all!

1 comment: