Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Color Her Barbra

I am a shameless, passionate, sappy Barbra Streisand fan. When I was 12 years old I listened to her albums in my friend Joan's bedroom - we were (and are) Barbra zealots. Whether it was classic 1968 "Funny Girl" music or this hipster, beat thumping homage to Barbra by Duck Sauce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu_zwdmz0hE, the feeling is the same - Barbra's timeless talent is tops.

"I'm The Greatest Star" from the motion picture Funny Girl
This is where I believe childhood is so powerful because hearing her softens and transports me to my pre-teen daydreaming self. It is a visceral response to something I'm not sure I even understand. I just know that she (and Joni Mitchell) do this for me. (Barbra did record Joni's "I Don't Know Where I Stand," but I digress.)

Today Barbra releases her 36th studio album, "What Matters Most" and I am once again transported in time but only five years back when I finally, finally saw her sing live.  In October 2006  Barbra opened her tour in Philadelphia. I saw her twice; first at her Philly dress rehearsal, seated in Section 1, Row 1, Seat 1 and again the next day in section 112 for the concert.  And if that does not make you ache with envy or joy, I understand.  But if it does resonate with you, then we share a deep musical appreciation. 


What hit me hardest as I reveled in all things Streisand was how much I missed my concert-going self.  From my senior year in high school when I would savor performances at the intimate Bryn Mawr Main Point, through the college circuit of performers then onto larger arenas in my twenties and early thirties, I loved attending rock, jazz, and folk concerts. 

And then, it stopped.  No grand finale…just a redirection of my life…marriage, house, kids. Somewhat numbed to this evolution, I sought out other avenues. Many kid themed concerts, ice shows and the like filled the void in a twisted sort of way.  Finally subscribing to People’s Light and Theater Company in Malvern helped satisfy my need for live performance and it still does.  But music continued to beckon. 

And then Streisand………

Barbra's 2006 concert tour
If giddy describes my feeling as I purchased my single ticket for Barbra’s concert, then wildly insane best illustrates my good fortune at receiving front row seats to her dress rehearsal on the day before her opening.  I could feel the concert mojo recklessly flowing my way. 

Memories of listening to Barbra’s albums in my friend Joan’s bedroom emerged from my youth. Joan was the enviable owner of a stereo and we spent countless afternoons hearing that voice and those songs.  We referred to Barbra as our “best friend” pouring over her album covers and contents.   It was teen rapture.  

Trying to explain this feeling to my then teen and pre-teen aged daughters was most challenging. As I told anyone who could bear to listen, I described my great fortune in that I would actually be breathing the same air as Barbra! My perplexed youngest daughter said, “Mom, I’ve never seen you like this!”  And she was right.  My concert self was emerging from its Rip Van Winkle coma.

Happily, after purchasing my ticket, I made an out-of-the-blue call to Joan only to discover she, too, was going to see Babs for the first time – a  50th birthday gift from her husband.  Could the gods be more benevolent?  We, who shared this childhood passion for Streisand 40 years ago, would see her together so many years later. 

That week my personal mantra was, “If it does not start with Barbra and end with Streisand, I don’t want to hear about it.”  This was business.

Concert and Dress Rehearsal tickets
My mom attended the dress rehearsal with me. As the music began (the Funny Girl Broadway Overture) and Barbra emerged on a platform rising from below stage, my mom squeezed my hand like a vice grip in her utter disbelief that Barbra was really there. We were stunned and then exhilarated as Barbra sang, joked, and caressed us with her unmatchable talent.  It was more rapture           

Knowing I would see Barbra perform the next evening gave me the giddy reassurance that I could float in this bubble with no worry of let down – not yet.

Thanks to Joan’s suggestion, I wrote down the set list for review.  Joan did not want to see it but thought it would be a fun keepsake and she was right.  We met early the next evening for a pre-concert dinner in South Philly.  We reminisced and reveled in our great fortune to see our childhood idol – breathing the same air. 

Walking around the venue before the concert, I smiled at the collection of fellow attendees thinking how we all shared this thing for Barbra.  It moved me and is one of the precious memories of that evening. (Whenever I attend a sporting event or concert at this venue I look at section 112 with quiet joy). 

I savored each morsel Barbra offered. As the saying goes, she could have sung the phone book and I would have been riveted. A favorite song for me was “Starting Here, Starting Now” – so hopeful.  That voice. Those notes. That style. She delivered melodies with her signature vocal sincerity and mightily awoke the sleeping concert spirit within me.  I have attended numerous performances since, thrilled to be reacquainted with my concert self. 
 
Equally pleasing was sharing such a night with a dear childhood friend and fan. It is a highlight of my life.

For a review of "What Matters Most" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/arts/music/albums-by-pistol-annies-barbra-streisand-and-zee-avi.html?scp=2&sq=barbra%20streisand&st=cse

CBS Sunday Morning featured Barbra this past Sunday in anticipation of her new album and here is the link to that interview: http://www.youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?

"Music elevates life.  When you have certain emotions that are larger than life you want to express them in a larger way.  Music is so rich in being able to identify with feelings.   
It is powerful to the soul."  B. Streisand.

No comments:

Post a Comment